Are you planning your very first magic mushroom or truffle experience? If so, there are a few things to keep in mind beforehand to ensure that you are getting the most out of your experience.
There are two psychoactive compounds in mushrooms that are responsible for its effects: psilocybin and psilocin. Both of these molecules are naturally found in psychedelic mushrooms. When mushrooms are ingested or eaten orally, the body converts psilocybin to psilocin.
TIP 1: SET AND SETTING
The idea of set and setting was suggested by the American psychologist, author, and psychedelic advocate Timothy Leary. Set and setting is the idea that both the internal and external environment can greatly influence the direction of a psychedelic experience. The “set” refers to a person’s attitude.
If a person with a negative attitude or during an extremely turbulent or stressful time of their life immerses themselves in a psychedelic experience, those emotions will in all likelihood surface during the experience and trigger a bad trip. On the other hand, if a person comes into the experience with a joyful, positive, and optimistic attitude, then they are likely to have a positive experience.
“Setting” refers to the physical, external environment in which the trip takes place and can have a profound effect on the outcome as the setting. For example, taking a large dose of mushrooms in an artificial setting such as a nightclub or at a party could expose a person to over-stimulation. Picking mushrooms in a natural and serene setting, such as a forest or beach, might add to a more rewarding experience.
TIP 2: HAVE A TRIP SITTER
A trip sitter is a trustworthy and responsible person who accompanies their friend throughout their experience. He can either stay sober or take a small dose to join his friend. Having a trip sitter with you can help keep things under control should the traveller begin to experience a bad trip. He can help bring it back down or even seek help when things get very serious. The mere presence of a trip sitter can help create a supportive and safe environment.
TIP 3: DO NOT MIX SUBSTANCES
Mixing substances can take away the purity of ingesting the mushrooms and could diminish or distort the experience. Additionally, if done recklessly, it can make things quite dangerous. Consuming mushrooms after drinking large amounts of alcohol or taking large amounts of other drugs is likely to be intolerant and could trigger extreme behaviour and more than likely a bad trip.